A Literature Review of Recommended Portable Applications
Cathryn Connelly, Valerie Irvine, University of Victoria, Canada
E-Learn: World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education, in Vancouver, Canada ISBN 978-1-880094-76-1 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), San Diego, CA
The purpose of this project is to review the literature on portable applications in an educational setting, and specifically those that are free/libre open source software (FLOSS). Portable applications are software applications, loaded on individual USB sticks, that can be used without installing any software on a computer. Another goal of this review is to compile a list, from the many available FLOSS portable applications, of software recommended in the literature. The portable applications in this list could be used by educators and students immediately, both in the classroom and on students’ home computers.
Connelly, C. & Irvine, V. (2009). A Literature Review of Recommended Portable Applications. In T. Bastiaens, J. Dron & C. Xin (Eds.), Proceedings of E-Learn 2009--World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education (pp. 3465-3469). Vancouver, Canada: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved June 10, 2023 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/32982/.
© 2009 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
ReferencesView References & Citations Map
- Baggaley, J. (2006). Portable applications in mobile education. International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning, 7(2), 1-4.
- British Educational Communications and Technology Agency. (2005, May). Open-source software in schools: A study of the spectrum of use and related ICT infrastructure costs. Retrieved from www.becta.org.uk Burke County Public School (BCPS) Technology Department Instructional Technology. (N.D.). You CAN take it with you! Portable Free Software. Retrieved Aug 9, 2009, from http://its.wiki.burke.k-12.nc.us/Portable+Applications.
- Couros, A. (2007, October 6). Freedom Sticks for the Classroom (Online forum comment). Retrieved from http://educationaltechnology.ca/couros/656
- Giza, B. (2009). The use of free, open-source, and web-based tools in education In I. Gibson et al. (Eds.), Proceedings of Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education International Conference 2009 (pp. 1838-1842). Chesapeake, VA: AACE.
- Haller, J.T. (2009). About PortableApps. In PortableApps.com your digital life, anywhere. Retrieved August 15, 2009, from http://portableapps.com/about.
- Lamb, A., & Johnson, L. (2006, June). Open-source software in school libraries. Teacher Librarian, 33(5), 55-57.
- Lank, C. (2009). Portable arcade games. Portable arcade games and software for your flash drive and other portable devices. In Flashdrivefreak. Retrieved August 15, 2009, from http://flashdrivefreak.wordpress.com/.
- Lee, A. (2009). The portable freeware collection. In The portable freeware collection. Retrieved August 15, 2009, from http://www.portablefreeware.com/.
- Leyden, J. (2008, August 7). German hackers poke hole in great firewall of China. A new Olympic sport. The Register. Biting the Hand that Feeds IT. Retrieved August 15, 2009 from http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/07/torbrowser_olympics/
- Montante, R. (2009). A survey of portable software. Journal of Computing Sciences in Colleges. 24(3), 19-24.
- Plante, J., & Beattie, D. (2004). Connectivity and ICT integration in Canadian elementary and secondary schools: First results from the information and communications technologies in schools survey, 2003-2004 (Catalogue no. 81-595-MIE—No. 017). Ottawa: Statistics Canada.
- Regional Support Center Scotland North and East. (2008). EduApps. Retrieved Aug 9, 2009, from http://www.eduapps.org/.
- Thornburg, D. (2006, November). Free and Open Source Software. New Programs offer alternatives for districts. District Administration.
- USB Pen Drive Apps. (2009). Portable Software Applications that run from USB. Retrieved August 15, 2009, from http://www.pendriveapps.com/.
- Waters, J. (2007, August). Opening a New Door. THE Journal, 34(8), 30-35.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. Signed in users can suggest corrections to these mistakes.Suggest Corrections to References