The Challenges of Improving Synchronous Web-based High School Course Delivery in Isolated Aboriginal Community Settings
Dennis Sharpe, David Philpott, Memorial University of Newfoundland, Canada
Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference, in San Diego, CA, USA ISBN 978-1-880094-78-5 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Waynesville, NC USA
This paper is based on a current (2007-2010) Social Sciences and Humanities Council of Canada community-university alliance funded research project that is investigating ways to improve the success rate of aboriginal high school learners who have little option but to complete some part of their program through distance delivered courses. The study is focused on several small remote communities along the coast of Labrador, Canada that have a mostly aboriginal population Both qualitative and quantitative data were gathered through provincial records and interview and focus group work involving students, parents, teachers and school administrators to ascertain current success rates in e-learning courses and also to help determine appropriate interventions that might positively impact success student success rates. Initial results have helped identify a number of possible and practical interventions that could be implemented by schools and other agencies responsible for the delivery of education.
Sharpe, D. & Philpott, D. (2010). The Challenges of Improving Synchronous Web-based High School Course Delivery in Isolated Aboriginal Community Settings. In D. Gibson & B. Dodge (Eds.), Proceedings of SITE 2010--Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference (pp. 2948-2955). San Diego, CA, USA: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved March 20, 2023 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/33816/.
ReferencesView References & Citations Map
- Bale, D. (2005). A comparative assessment of four online learning programs. Saskatchewan Development and Research Unit, University of Regina. Retrieved January 12, 2010 from: www.firstnationsnt.ca/UofRResearch/KCDC-report.doc
- Battiste, M.. (2005). State of Aboriginal learning. Background Paper for the National Dialogue on Aboriginal Learning. Prepared for the Canadian Council on Learning. Retrieved October 15, 2009 from: http://www.ccl-cca.ca/NR/rdonlyres/210AC17C-A357-4E8D-ACD4B1FF498E6067/0/StateOfAboriginalLearning.pdf
- Cummins, J. & Sayers, D. (1995). Brave new schools: Challenging cultural illiteracy through global learning. New York, NY: St. Martins.
- Council of Ministers of Education. (2004). Quality education for all young people: Challenges, trends, and priorities. Retrieved October 15, 2009 from: www.cmec.ca/international/unesco/ice47.en.stm
- Crouch, M., & Montecino, V. (1997). Cyberstress: Asynchronous anxiety or worried in cyberspace– I wonder if my teacher got my e-mail. Retrieved October 1, 2008 from: http://tcc.kcc.hawaii.edu/previous/TCC%201997/crouch.html
- Cuthell, J.P. (2002). Virtual learning: The impact of ICT on the way young people work and learn. Burlington, VT: Ashgate Publishing Limited.
- Daniels, D. (2004). Canada’s Northern Indigenous Perspectives on Distance Learning. Paper presented at the Information and Communication Technology in the Arctic. University of the Arctic: University of Finland Press.
- Department of Education (2008). Education Statistics 2007/8. Retrieved, November 5, 2008 from: http://www.ed.gov.nl.ca/edu/publications/k-12/stats/index.html #0708
- Downing, R. (2002). Bridging Aboriginal digital and learning divides. Report on office of learning technologies support to Aboriginal communities. Office of Learning Technologies. Retrieved October 15, 2009 from: http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/hip/lld/olt/skills_development/oltresearch/bridging_aboriginal_digital_divide.shtmlDowns,M.,&Moller,L.(1999,December).Experiencesofstudents,teachers,andadministratorsinadistanceeducationcourse.InternationalJournalofEducationalTechnology,1(2).Retrievedfromhttp://www.ed.uiuc.edu/ijet/v1n2/downs/index.html
- Eggertson, L. (2007). The face of public education in Canada is changing. The Learning Partnership. Retrieved May 11, 2008 from: www.thelearningpartnership.ca/
- Fiddler, M. (1992). Developing and implementing a distance education secondary school program for isolated first nation communities in northwestern Ontario. Distance Education and Sustainable Community Development (Ontario). Retrieved May 1, 2008 from: http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICDocs/data/ericdocs2sql/content_storage_01/0000019b/80/14/ba/88.pdf Flanigan, S.M. (2000). The computer ate my homework: MSSD students meet the challenges of high school in cyberspace. Odyssey, Winter. Retrieved October 1, 2008 from: http://www.clerccenter.gallaudet.edu/Documents/Clerc/Odyssey-2000-v1i1-full.pdf
- Government of British Columbia (2001). The digital divide in British Columbia. Retrieved April 10, 2008 from: www.network.gov.bc.ca
- Government of Newfoundland and Labrador (2008). Indicators 2008: A report on schools. St. John’s, NL: Department of Education. Retrieved January 15, 2010 from: www.ed.gov.nl.ca/edu/publications/k-12/indicators/index.html
- Government of Nunavut (2005). Distance Education in Nunavut. Iqaluit, NU: Department of Education.-2954 DASHDASH
- Greenall, D. (2005). Formative evaluation of the Sunchild e-learning community. Ottawa, ON: The Conference Board of Canada.
- Greenall, D. & Loizides, S. (2001). Aboriginal digital opportunities: Addressing aboriginal learning needs through the use of learning technologies (Detailed Findings). Ottawa, ON: Conference Board of Canada.
- Gruber, S. & Coldevin, G. (1995). Distance education for aboriginal communities in Canada: Past experience and future potential. American Journal of Distance Education, 9(3), 48-61.
- Hughes, J. (2004). Supporting the online learner. Athabasca University. Retrieved online October 1, 2008 from: http://cde.athabascau.ca/online_book/ch15.html
- Jewison, C. (1985). Our students, our future: Innovations in First Nations education in the NWT. Education Canada, 35(1), 4-8.
- Kearsley, G. (2000). Online education: Learning and teaching in cyberspace. Toronto: Ontario: Wadsworth Thomson Learning.
- Meyer, K. (2003). The web’s impact on student learning. T.H.E Journal, 30, 14-24. Retrieved October 15, 2009 from: http://thejournal.com/articles/2003/05/01/the-webs-impact-on-studentlearning.aspx
- Mood, T. (1995). Distance education: An annotated bibliography. Englewood, CO: Libraries Unlimited, Inc.
- Mulcahy, D. (2002). Re-conceptualizing distance education: Implications for the rural schools of Newfoundland and Labrador. Retrieved October 1, 2008 from: http://www.mun.ca/educ/faculty/mwatch/fall02/Mulcahy.htmOfficeoftheAuditorGeneralofCanada(2004,November).IndianandNorthernAffairsCanada-educationalprogramandpostsecondarystudentsupport(sect.5.2)RetrievedMay30,2005from:www.oagbvg.gc.ca/internet/.../osh_20050224_e_23414.html
- Sanchez, J., Stuckey, M., & Morris, R. (1998). Distance Learning in Indian Country. Journal of American Indian Education, 37(3), 1-17.
- Statistics Canada (2003). International Adult Literacy and Skills Survey. The Daily. Retrieved April 30, 2008 from: www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/051109/d051109a.htm
- Statistics Canada (2005). Connectivity and ICT Integration in First Nations Schools: Results from the Information and Communications Technologies in Schools Survey, 2003/04. Retrieved October 15, 2009 from http://www.statcan.gc.ca/bsolc/olc-cel/olc-cel?catno=81-595-MIE2005034&lang=engStatisticsCanada(2006).PerformanceofCanada'syouthinscience,readingandmathematics.TheDaily.RetrievedOctober15,2009from:http://www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/071205/d071205b.htm
- Statistics Canada. (2007). Community Profiles. Retrieved May 8, 2008 from: www.statcan.ca/bsolc/english/bsolc?catno=92-591-X Statistics Canada, 2008. Community profiles: Retrieved, November 5, 2008 from: http://www12.statcan.ca/census-recensement/2006/dp-pd/prof/92-591/index.cfm?Lang=E
- Walmark, B., O'Donnell, S., & Beaton, B. (2005). Research on ICT with Aboriginal communities: Report from RICTA 2005. Retrieved October 15, 2009 from: http://iit-iti.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/iitpublications-iti/docs/NRC-48291.pdf.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. Signed in users can suggest corrections to these mistakes.Suggest Corrections to References