A Review of the Studies Using Digital Storytelling in In-Service and Pre-Service Teacher Training
Gül Özüdoğru, Ahi Evran University, Turkey ; Hasan Cakir, Gazi University, Turkey
EdMedia + Innovate Learning, in Washington, DC ISBN 978-1-939797-29-2 Publisher: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE), Waynesville, NC
The aim of this research is to investigate methods, fields, and examined educational outcomes of the studies, in which digital storytelling is used in in-service and pre-service teacher training. Within that scope, in 20 April 2017, ''digital storytelling'' and ''teacher'' keywords were searched in Web of Science database. The results of this search yielded full texts of 13 studies among a total of 20 studies. The results of the research showed that there is an increase in the number of studies carried out in the field of digital storytelling, the participants of these studies are mostly pre-service teachers, their fields are mostly elementary school, their methodologies are mostly qualitative, the educational outcomes they examine are mostly the opinions of participants, and the digital storytelling tool used in such studies is often Movie Maker.
Özüdoğru, G. & Cakir, H. (2017). A Review of the Studies Using Digital Storytelling in In-Service and Pre-Service Teacher Training. In J. Johnston (Ed.), Proceedings of EdMedia 2017 (pp. 886-891). Washington, DC: Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE). Retrieved March 21, 2023 from https://www.learntechlib.org/primary/p/178400/.
© 2017 Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
ReferencesView References & Citations Map
- Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2010). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use. A standardbased approach. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
- Demirer, V. (2013). İlköğretimde e-öyküleme kullanımı ve etkileri. Doktora Tezi, Necmettin Erbakan Üniversitesi Eğitim Bilimleri Enstitüsü, Eğitim Bilimleri Anabilim Dalı, Konya.
- Hur, J.W., & Suh, S. (2012). Making learning active with interactive whiteboards, podcasts, and digital storytelling in ELL classrooms. Computers in the Schools, 29(4), 320338.
- Ming, T.S., Sim, L.Y., Mahmud, N., Kee, L.L., Zabidi, N.A., & Ismail, K. (2014). Enhancing 21st century learning skills via digital storytelling: Voices of Malaysian teachers and undergraduates. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 118, 489-494.
- Niemi, H., & Multisilta, J. (2015). Digital storytelling promoting twenty-first century skills and student engagement. Technology, Pedagogy and Education, 25(4), 451-468.
- Robin, B. (2006). The Educational Uses of Digital Storytelling. C. Crawford vd. (Ed.), Proceedings of Society for Information Technology& Teacher Education International Conference, Chesapeake, VA: AACE. 709-716.
- Robin, B. (2016). The Power of Digital Storytelling to Support Teaching and Learning. Digital Education Review, 30, 17-29.
- Robin, B.R. (2008). Digital storytelling: A powerful technology tool for the 21st century classroom. Theory Into Practice, 47(3), 220–228.
- Robin, B., & Pierson, M. (2005). A Multilevel Approach to Using Digital Storytelling in the Classroom. In C. Crawford, R. Carlsen, I. Gibson, K. McFerrin, J. Price, R. Weber& D. Willis (Eds.), Proceedings of Society for Information Technology& Teacher Education International Conference, Chesapeake, VA: AACE. 708-716.
- Sadik, A. (2008). Digital storytelling: A meaningful technology-integrated approach for engaged student learning. Educational Technology Research and Development, 56(4), 487–506.
- Smeda, N., Dakich, E., & Sharda, N. (2014). The effectiveness of digital storytelling in the classrooms: A comprehensive study. Smart Learning Environments, 1(6), 1-21.
- Vrasidas, C., & McIsaac, M.S. (2001). Integrating technology in teaching and teacher education: Implications for policy and curriculum reform. Educational Media International, 38(2/3), 127-132.
- Yang, Y.C., & Wu, W.I. (2012). Digital storytelling for enhancing student academic achievement, critical thinking and learning motivation: A year-long experimental study. Computers& Education, 59(2), 339-352.
These references have been extracted automatically and may have some errors. Signed in users can suggest corrections to these mistakes.Suggest Corrections to References
- edmedia_ds__51272_51272.ppt (Access with Subscription)